IMODIUM® is suitable for adults and children over 12 years of age.
IMODIUM® is suitable for children over 12 years of age. It’s not recommended for younger children.
Children can become dehydrated more quickly than adults, so it’s a good idea to use an oral rehydration treatment, which you can find in soluble sachets.
Here’s some advice for treating your child’s diarrhoea (if under 12 years of age):
- Try to avoid sweetened fluids like soft drinks, energy drinks, sugar water and undiluted fruit juices. These all contain sugar that draws water into the intestine and can make diarrhoea worse.
- Giving your child solid foods, such as bread, cereal, rice, lean meat, yoghurt, fruit and vegetables, can help restore essential nutrients needed to fight infection.
- Offer your child yoghurts that contain live or active cultures.
- Keep your child’s bottom dry. Use care, tenderness and plenty of nappy cream when changing nappies, since it's easy for your baby’s bottom to become irritated.
If your child’s diarrhoea lasts longer than 48 hours, or you’re otherwise concerned about their health, you should consult your doctor.
Diarrhoea & Pregnancy
As with many medicines, IMODIUM® is not recommended when you’re pregnant or breastfeeding.
If you’re pregnant or caring for a newborn, diarrhoea can be the last thing you need. But, while you can’t use IMODIUM®, you can try to look after yourself by drinking plenty of fluids, eating healthily and resting. If you’re concerned, it’s best to ask your GP for advice.
Your baby is much more sensitive than you, so if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you need to be careful about what you put in your body. When choosing an over-the-counter medicine, make sure that you read the label to see whether the medicine is suitable for use in pregnancy.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Take plenty of rest, as you will almost certainly feel tired.
- Drink as much water or clear fluids as possible. If you have the appetite, you could try juices and soups too.
- Eat small, light meals, including carbohydrate-rich foods, such as bread, potatoes, pasta or rice. Try to avoid rich or spicy foods.
- A daily probiotic yoghurt or drink can help your digestive system get back to normal.
- Give yourself enough time to recover.
If you’ve been diagnosed with IBS by a doctor, you can use IMODIUM® IBS Relief, IMODIUM® Instants and IMODIUM® Originals to treat your diarrhoea.
Where to buy IMODIUM®
It’s easy to find IMODIUM® in the shops and you don’t need a prescription.